Wednesday, February 3, 2010

And so it begins................

For those of you who don't know, I picked up running last September as a way to get out of the house and get moving a little bit. I was amazed at the amount of mental sanity that it brought me. It gives me time for myself where I don't have to think about anything else. Anyway, I started running in September and I kept going. I ran my first 5K on November 1st at Emma Willard in Troy, NY. My second 5K was the Turkey Trot in downtown Troy on Thanksgiving Morning. I managed to shave two minutes off my time between the two races.

It quickly became dark (winter) and very cold here in NYS. So I convinced Dan that our family would benefit from joining the YMCA. Really, I just wanted to keep running. So, I began running on the treadmill. Since then I've heard many people refer to it at the dreadmill and now I definitely know why. It's BORING! But, I've managed to keep doing it, but just not as many times per week.

Recently, I decided to check out an informational meeting for the Team in Training program through the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. They train athletes to compete in endurance events in exchange for the athlete fund raising for the Leukemia & Lymphoma society. I was so inspired by the cancer survivors who spoke about the support they received from the program during their treatment and how it has enabled them to train and run a marathon themselves! I left the meeting certain that this was something that was so much bigger than myself.

So, it's official, I have lost my mind and I have joined the Team in Training Team and have begun training to participate in a Half Marathon in Lake Placid, NY on June 13th, 2010. I know, totally crazy. Trust me as I'm finishing a 3 mile run it dawns on me that in a matter of a few months I will not be finishing 3 miles, but instead 13.1. Ouch!

Anyway, I ask that you consider helping me to reach my goal by donating to support not only me, but also all of the folks that I'm running for at:

http://pages.teamintraining.org/uny/lkplacid10/sfiskx

Keep checking back as I plan to update here how the physical training and process of preparing for this event is going. Stay with me as I prepare to do the biggest and most meaningful thing in my life that is not about me ....................

No comments: